18 February, 2008

Once in a Blue Moon

.
.
.”Moonshine after rain”
Photo: © Daniel De Granville, 2008


On more than one occasion I posted pictures here in FotogramaBits of striking moments that I captured from my porch, showing the Japi Mountains. The most recent one was the sunset that I shot last week after a rainy day. And when I thought that every possibility of capturing surprising images without having to leave home were gone, I came across another of these almost magic moments (which will be the theme for Fotograma’s next Month’s Gallery, coming in March).

It happened last Saturday, a sunny day that ended with a wind storm and 30 millimeters of rain in about half an hour – as if each 1 x 1 meter section (1 sq meter) had received 30 liters of water, nearly 1 liter per minute!

It was almost 7 PM when electricity went off and the phone line too. I had two DVDs to watch and decided to wait for the power to be reestablished, which only happened at around 11 PM... But it couldn’t be better: a bit later, at about 2 AM, I was prized by this moonshine illuminating the mist at the foothills. If it wasn’t for the power outage, I’d probably have missed the whole show...

Japi Mountains, 2:30 AM
Photo: © Daniel De Granville, 2008.
.
.
.

No comments: